<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 09, 2003

Boycott Disney Films

A while ago I realized something and with the release of Lilo & Stitch the realization became overly abundant.

Disney does not want to make a film that has a black main character. I would say that Disney does not want to make a film that has a black character*(see note at bottom) but they have

The slaves in Fantasia that tend to the god Bacchus were half black-half zebra. Those are the only black characters I have ever noticed in Disney films.

Lion King does not count. Those are not black characters, those are animals in Africa. Eddie Murphy in Mulan does not count. That is not a black character that is a little dragon with the black man's voice.

I don't know what percentage of the Disney watching population is Polynesian but Lilo & Stitch just burned me because they took it to Hawaii before releasing a film with a black main character. I am not hating on Hawaii it is Disney's mentality I have a problem with.

THEN I thought surely with all the flops they have had they will finally make a film with a black main character. I mean there are so many great African fables BUT NO it is about a bear. A BEAR!

As a woman of colour I just cannot take this anymore. I don't want my children, who don't even exist, fantasizing about magical worlds that have no black people.

That is not magic, that is racism AND it is time for Disney to change.

(One of my older wiser friends has reminded me about the movie Disney made called Song of the South. A film so racist that Disney does not allow it to be sold in the United States anymore. This really only feeds into my point about racism.)


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?