<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 24, 2003

???

How much of other people are you allowed to reveal in your work? I remember going to a Julio Alvarez talk and she said that her mother had tried to sue her twice. I am not afraid of law suits.

I am afraid of hurting other people by revealing their secrets. Our lives are so intertwined with one another's. Though I have the strength to speak out, others don't. As a writer you put them in the public eye when you place yourself there. Our families, our lovers our ex-lovers they are all brought to justice and are forced to be held accountable for a crime which isn't even a crime. They are forced to be accountable for being.

I also think they over blow who knows what about them. What are the chances that someone who gets a hand of your little poetry compilation will walk into your parent's place of work?

What are you supposed to say to your family? Hey, don't tell people I am a writer cause
a. you look like an ass in some of my pieces
b. I talk about my sexuality and you want to think I don'thave one.
c. I write about controversy.

I mean even fiction authors. Here I am thinking of the son of a politician who is a great writer and working on a novel. Your work not only reflects on yourself but it reflects on those who helped make you. How do you protect them, without stifling you?

As writers we put the heat on everyone around us and they can't exactly get out of the kitchen.

So, what do we owe them?
Email me at ninanuyorican@yahoo.com

(I really should figure out how to put a comments option on this page)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?