<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 25, 2003

How to Make New York Feel Like a Small Town

I think one of the things that make small towns good and bad is that you know everyone. You hate it when you are a kid but as you get older it seems really great.

So tip #1
FIND A BAR--Not to drink. But finding a bar that you like to hang out in with a good bartender is a great thing. At this point all love goes to Maureen, my wonderfully fabooolous bartender that knows I want a Malibu and Coke with lots of cherries and a wedge of lime. Home girl makes it look like a fruit salad and when I am in need of a drink she puts in so much rum it looks like ice tea. Yes Maureen, I do love you.

#2--Shop. I mean the routine shopping like groceries and pharmacies. This takes some finanical sacrifices. Chicken may be cheaper at the 'other' grocery store but there is something about seeing the same folk every saturday morning that you will find comforting. Especially if you are from a small town. There is something about them knowing that you will want goat cheese that I personally like. Cause you will go back to your grocery store and the clerk will be like, "Hey, Nina goat cheese is on sale." And you will get happy. The guy at the magazine stand will tell you when Foreign Policy has come in and as you drink your tea you will think--wow people are still good.

#3--Be a morning person. I tend to get my grocery shopping and all my routine stuff done between 7 and 10 on a Saturday morning. Crazy, yes. BUT, the streets are empty and they have just been cleaned and there is something about the crispness of the morning. Really, this city may be huge but I guess most of us spend most of our time in the same ten block radius. You will get to know all the morning people and it will be nice.

Finally, and most important, keep acting like you are in a small town. Smile at your grocer, chat with the guy at the magazine stand, be yourself and fight to keep your small town qualities. You will find that your own small town will develop around you in this hectic city.

as for me....I am off to buy my goat cheese

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?