<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Lost in Translation

Last night I performed a piece that had a total of four words in Spanish. Before I performed I provided the translation for those words. And hence the great translation debate began.

I had to think, why do I write. I think I write so that I can build bridges. Bridges between myself and others and bridges between other people. I have a few pieces that are only in Spanish and some that are bilingual and some that are all in English. I have lots of poetry books and of those where the poems are in Spanish translations are provided. Others that are bilingual often have little asterics to the translations of the few words that are not in English.

I guess that is where I find myself. I want to provide little asterics, in my writing and in my spoken word. If you don't understand some critical part of the piece I don't feel like I have built a sturdy bridge. As someone who has often felt alienated, I don't want to alienate anyone from my work. At least I don't want to alienate them because of a lack of understanding.

I don't know how often I will provide translation. I kind of have to decide at one point does it become ridiculous. I mean translating several paragraphs is just too time consuming/boring.

I also feel that, when I am translating, I am educated. Even if you hated the piece. You learned four more words of Spanish. :-)


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?