<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 15, 2003

mom, attorney, nuyorican....

So, one night I was out Samba dancing. Something I rather love to do. I was having a good night at the club with one of my best friends. We were moving and shaking and the band was hot. We met a group of people as often happens when you are Samba dancing. It is just such a friendly atmosphere.

We were dancing with our new friends and as one of the dudes tried to get friendly I told him I have a boyfriend. I just wanted to cut things off at the path.

He started asking about me and I told him here is how the conversation went
Him--So, what do you do
Me--I got to law school
Him--where
me--Columbia
Him--wow that is impressive
me--not really
Him--so what do you want to do, tell me about school
me--I don't want to. it is saturday night. school is my job, you don't like talking about work when you are out do you.
Him--come on you have to know what you want to do
me--well i don't
Him--just one thing
me--I WANT TO BE A MOM
Him--I can't believe you said that I mean you are a latin woman you have responsibilities
Me--and yes I feel that the responsibilities I have to the children I want to have will be my most important. it will be my most important job
Him--But you are a latina, do you know how much pressure you are under
Me--you are pissing me off

And then I walked away. So here it is
Yes I know how much pressure I am under. I live with it daily. I am the only female cousin in my twenties without a kid. Yes I do want to help my people

BUT I do not know how to define my people. All people are my people. All disenfranchised people are my people and they are the people who I will work for

However, no matter what other people think, I believe my potential role as a parent will be my most important job if I am blessed enough to get it.

Maybe if more people thought that way so many jacked up things wouldn't happen.

Having children will not make me forget that I want to make the world a better place, it will make me want to make the world a better place even more.

And that is what is annoying about being a woman. So much of our life is intertwined with our role (or potential role) as mothers. I have to think about this stuff even though I don't plan on having kids for a LONG time. In two weeks I turn 24. I have a a lot of years before I take on that responsibility. But if I do it I am going to do it right

If anybody thinks I am shirking my responsibilities as a Latina Role Model--Fuck em.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?