<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

These are Four Post from My Old Blog. The forum didn't seem to fit me. I guess this is like an extreme introduction. And yes, I suck at spelling.

October 8, 2003 Political Condolences

My extreme condolences to the state of California. Okay, so I don't really know what you have gotten yourself into. Old boy may actually surprise us.


I heard a rumor that a Senator Arnie supported is going to introduce a bill that says that non-American born citizens can become President.


This is so difficult for me to embrace right now. First of all I do not want a man with political experience that limited as my President. I mean he wouldn't even engage in actual debates. To me that means he just can't think on his feet.


On the other hand, would I really try to get my Congressman (actually she is a woman) not to sign a bill just to prevent the chance that he would become President? Frankly, we are so xenophobic right now I don't think it would go through. And how many years would you have to live here to be eligible?


I mean it is scary enough that millionaire Americans run for office. I don't want someone from someplace else establishing residency just so they can run for President. And you know someone would try it.


Tears and Parades ladies and gentlemen. People need to feel from their candidates. And sometimes our feelings cloud our judgment.


May Arnie do a good job.

October 7, 2003 Law School Breeds Jerks

I have figured out why lawyers are assholes. Law school is demoralizing--at least this law school is. Let's look at it rather systematically.


The Socratic Method.


First of all it is old. Look at the name, that kinda gives away how old it is. So, a professor calls on you and keeps asking you questions with his x-ray eyes until you just can't answer anymore. They want you to fail, to not know. And if you do know, they don't give you kudos.


There is just one test.


You have no indicator of whether or not you understand what is going on. You can think you do, and you can talk about it with your friends. However, if you are collectively wrong you don't know until you get the grade. By then, it is too late.


Interviews.


Okay, I am at one of the top five schools. Fall of your second year you start this intense interview program geared toward placing you in a top firm. It becomes everyone's obsession. Even if you can keep yourself from stressing, everyone else stressing makes you stressed. It sucks. Especially when offers start rolling in and you don't have one.


I hate this so much and I hate the fact that no one challenges the fact that law school is hated. Everyone accepts it and so few try to change it.


And that is why lawyers become assholes, because we are treated like shit and go through hell for three years. It is dehumanizing. Those who excel at it, well I don't think they are human.

October 1, 2003 Technology and Politics

There has been so much happening in the political world which gives me hope. At the same time there is so much happening that scares me.


(an aside, I am a centrist.)


Howard Dean's campaign strategies are great. I also love the fact that he has admitted that it is an utter accident. He did not know how much power his campaigns rampant use of the internet would have. People feel involved/connected and anything that gets young people involved in politics is good.


Further, technological advances are helping international politics. People so want to feel connected that even where it is not allowed they will find a way to access the internet and get a hold of information. Knowledge of what has been acknowledge as your basic rights is a very powerful thing. Realizing that people, people you don't even know, care about your political situation gives hope. That is a definite plus.


On the other hand, as this power structure changes and moves forth the powers that be are getting scared. They are finding ways to dismantle our rights and challenge our decisions. Money is moving hands and going forth.


I am not going to elaborate on what I mean by the last paragraph. Look around with open eyes and you will see.

September 30, 2003 Dancing on the Beach in a Suit

(This is an edited version of an email that I think says a lot about me. To put it in context I am in law school--but I am not really the lawyer type)


All this interviewing has me thinking about what I really want.


I want to live near the ocean. I have that one down. I want to learn to play the bongos and congas. I want to learn to play the guitar too. When I have gotten sufficiently musical I want to play my instruments by the oceans with stars above me and you beside me.


I want to write poetry. I have not written in weeks and it pains me. I have not even written in my journal, okay I have a few entries but nothing of substance. I just feel like my writing will affect people and right now it is going nowhere.


I just don't know if I will affect people more as a lawyer or a writer. I also know what I don't want.


I don't want one of those lives where I am so tired at night that I cannot make love to my husband. That is so sad to me. I don't want to become selfish and greedy. I think when you work too much you buy a lot of crap cause you have to convince yourself you are enjoying life and it is worth it and you don't have time to enjoy life but you have money to buy things--so you buy things and convince yourself they help you enjoy life.


I want to dance...often...under the stars, under the sun, on the beach, in the house with bottles of wine and mojitos and cuba libres. I want to have blood mary brunches on saturday and I don't want it to matter than I spent the day doing nothing because sometimes nothing is everything and having the ability to do it means everything. Nothing is very important.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?