<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Writer/Lawyer

I read somewhere that when a girl tells you that she is a writer and a lawyer it means that she is a bad writer and a bad lawyer.

Of course, that kinda stuck with me seeing as that is where I fall into the world. The semester starts and I attempt to balance 2d year of law school/working at a small firm/and working on a law journal with my poetic lifestyle. I failed.

I had not been writing up until like a week ago and I hadn't read till last night. Fortunately, I have been working on my book which kinda 'excuses' the lack of poetry production.

Sunday morning found me spazzing cause I just didn't know where I fit into the world. I have not acquired the coveted second summer internship yet, which leaves me in a pickle over how to pay for third year of law school. And I wasn't really producing as a writer. I was wondering if the poet/attorney thing was a myth. I mean were they actually practicing law when they were writing those amazing pieces I love so much?

On the bus home from my mom's house I end up sitting next to a writer who just sold an option to HBO. That same afternoon my boyfriend runs into a judge he knows at a bookstore. The judge is signing his second book. AND last night the feature at Bar 13 was a practicing attorney. Signs...I think so

Oscar asked me what my goals as a writer are. I told him I need to make myself edit my pieces. I have things that have been sitting around for years that just haven't gotten quite there.

Here is my other predicament. I hate slamminig. I have some pieces that are straight poetry, I don't really see myself performing them. On stage, you kinda tailor your pieces to the audience and I don't know, I just don't like the idea of picking which pieces I am going to read in order to win. Sometimes people just need to hear things whether they want to or not.

So, are people hearing me on the open mic? Probably not. That's why it is good that I have this law thing to fall back on :-)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?