<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 01, 2003

The Ads at the top of the page--Why I hate Diamonds

I am pretty sure they base the ads at the top of the page on what words are in the text of our blogs. It made me very happy that for a long time I didn't have a single ad up there. The other day I clicked on my page and there were two ads, one for jewelry and the other for diamonds.

Eegads! Where did they get that idea from? I really normally only wear one piece of jewelry, the Indian ring my abuela gave me. The other thing is that I AM ANTI-DIAMOND.

Completely and utterly ANTI-DIAMOND. Diamonds fund warfare in Africa and seeing as they are a complete luxury item, I don't want one. If I ever do get engaged I really hope it is to someone that is creative enough NOT to get me something that everyone else has. Because if he buys me a diamond then he doesn't know me.

Politically-- Guerilla groups in Africa get control of the diamonds mines and use the money to buy weaponry. The tactics these groups use are very brutal. Amputations are rampant and not just of other soldiers but of children. It is part of psychological warfare. There really is no way to monitor where diamonds come from. There have been attempts to monitor where diamonds come from but they are so small it is just too easy to smuggle them and to lie about where they came from. So I ask you, is your diamond worth a childs arm and leg?

Seriously, think about it. Picture an 8-10 year old child that you love. That you are really fond of. Picture a diamond ring on her/his finger. But, picture her/his arm lying on the ground not attached to her/his body. That is the cost of your little bobble.

Get it, okay. Here is the 2d level for why I am anti-diamond.

As to the engagement aspect--Those things cost too damn much. It is ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. You could buy a house or go around the world for what engagement rings cost. Seeing as I have never left the country--take my ass around the world and get me a cubic zirconia.

Also, I don't understand why women are the only ones who wear engagment rings. Poor guys get gipped. In a cynical light, why should I wear something that shows I am taken without my partner having to wear an equal item. So, if i do get married I will be buying him an engagement ring too. Fair is fair.

You know I may have written about this before and I don't care. It is really important to me.

TV--on a lighter note

The first step toward recovery is admittance--I am addicted to television.
I can blame my addiction on being a latch key child that would get home and put the TV on to have voices in the house. But, I am no longer a child so it is no longer an excuse.

How badly addicted am I? The other day I watched three hours of Law & Order alone. Three hours! And that wasn't the only thing I watched that day. The television is always on in the background.

But guess what, I don't have TV anymore. I have the actually sets, but seeing as I refuse to pay for cable I no longer get a single channel. Either I will go nuts, or I will get a lot more done. Cross your fingers for me.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?