<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Clothes make the man

A wise man once told me that he doesn't like wearing clothes with other people's names on it. I think it is a fairly sound rule and seeing as I can't afford designer clothes it is easier for me to accept. I still don't know why people like being human billboards. Of the clothes that I do have with designer names, they were given to me.

You see I have never really cared about what I wear. Because of this I end up becoming like a human doll to certain women in my life, which I don't particularly mind cause I don't care what I wear but I can't walk around naked and I would rather spend my money on other things than clothes. It fascinates me how other people are obsessed with clothes however.

Like in high school (and law school often feels like high school version 2.0) it was so easy to figure out what group somebody was in by how they dressed. I wasn' t in any group, well yes I was, I was in the out caste group. I had a habit of dressing for how I felt like that day. If I wanted to be taken seriously I dressed preppy, if I was depressed I wore black, if I wanted attention I wore a skirt now you could just throw everyone off by wearing a black preppy skirt. It just boggles my mind how much people notice.

When I go to the law school I normally try to dress quasi conservative I guess. When the weather gets warm I can't help but wear sarongs and tank tops (I will get to that later). Yesterday I went to the law school in my "street clothes" which are the clothes I wear on weekends or when I am hanging out with friends. So yeah maybe a tight black skirt, white fish nets and knee high black boots aren't "appropriate" law school gear. However, it amazed me how many people actually rolled their eyes at me, or whispered to their girlfriends. I get the best responses, when I dress like me, from this one girl who claims to be a "friend". I think she really hates me, or at least she hates my free spirit cause all her buttons (figurative and literal) are perfectly buttoned ALL the time. My buttons, well let's just say I don't often wear buttons. I have accepted the fact that most of the people at the law school think I am a flake and I sometimes enjoy stirring the pot as I skip down the halls (yes I literally skip down the halls--not all the time, just when I need an energy kick).

Anywho, if you know me, you know I live to wear sarongs and tank tops. Sometimes I get annoyed because I feel like I am confining myself by wearing them too often--like I am sorta known for it. I have had friends on the street say that they knew it was me cause of the sarong. Here is how it happened. I prefer natural fibers, which doesn't mean that I don't wear synthetics, I just prefer cotton and leather and silk and lace and wool and yes I even have angora sweaters, they keep me warm feel free to throw paint at me. I also like bright colors (though I do think black t-shirts are best for slogans). I also hate wearing shorts. I prefer mini skirts over shorts because years in an environment of skinny white women made me ashamed of the way my thighs spread when I sit down. When you sit down skirts (even mini skirts) give you more coverage than short shorts. So I run around in sarongs and tank tops and I am comfy in cotton and I don't sweat much in the summer because of it and I get to be free and natural and I love it.

Clothes get waaaaaaaay to much attention. I just want to be comfortable and I am more comfortable around people who wear simple clothes...no bling bling big name shit, no this is the hotness of the moment so I got to have it (I don't have a single close female friend who owns a pair of Uggs...thank God)....no pretense. I think my friends just wear what is comfortable and I like them that way.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?