<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 06, 2004

Elsa

Today I sat up and decided that I had to go to Coney Island. Occasionally I just need to go look at the ocean. It gives me a sense of peace and whenever I am at the ocean I feel like my abuela is with me.

My abuela loved swimming and the ocean and life. I don't go to cemetaries so when I want to be with her it is what I do.

I made the trek out there and it was gray but warm, when the train hit brooklyn it started to drizzle and I was getting worried that it would rain through my visit. As I got to the beach the sun came out and the sky turned blue and it was so beautiful. I knew it was my abuela's doing.

Tonight I met up with my tia's who told me that today my abuela would have been 79 years old. I had no clue that today was her birthday but, part of me must have known. And today she was with me. She was the sand under my toes and the water that lapped at my feet and the sun that was shining on my face. It was so amazing, but still...I would give anything for one more embrace, one more kiss. It has been almost six years without her and my heart still hasn't healed. And I know it never will.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?