<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Me and Rachel

Here is a story (cause I am bored in employment law).

It is the summer of 2001 and I am living in Somerville, MA. Six months earlier I started seriously writing (appreciating that the last semester of college is useless anyway). I was too scared to read however, so I would go to different Boston/Cambridge/Somerville poetry venues and just watch.

There was this dynamo on stage and I was completely riveted by her. She had such a presence, was incredibly sexy and didn't need a microphone at all (girl could PROJECT!) I wanted to be her. I really only got up on stage in Boston once. I was a chicken shit. Especially knowing that poetry goddess was in the midst.

So I started reading at open mics in New York.

Fast forward--Fall of 2003. I walk into Bar 13, my spot, my home (damn, i haven't been there in a bit) and there she is Rachel Hyman just sitting there as if she has always sat there as if she just belongs there. And I nearly fall over myself.

I knew it was a sign from the poetry gods. I had my feature at Tixe coming up and I just KNEW it would go well cause there was Rachel. AND I got up the courage to talk to her, to tell her she is the reason that I not only write but she is the reason I perform. Cause more than anyone she truly is. Rachel showed me that a woman could just dominate the stage.

And now, this poetry goddess is actually my friend. Chooses to bestow smiles and kisses on me. I really do believe she is my luck charm. Things have just fallen into place since she moved to New York. My third feature, at Acentos, is coming up. Thank you Rachel for inspiring me.

And that is the story.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?