<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 29, 2004

Morning news, in black and white

I watch the news every morning. I don't really know why I do it. It is more like two hours of shock headlines, with little relevance. I get more news from my ten minutes in the shower listening to NPR.

This morning I was listening to the news on TV and I heard the story of three boys (2 in second grade, one in fifth) who were plotting to kill a third grade girl. I knew immediately that they were white. Why did I know? Because they were discussing "WHY". The were analyzing what leads boys to plot to kill. They were discussing that maybe they didn't understand the concept of "to kill" and "death" and the deep naivity behind some of the things the boys were saying surrounding their plot. They mentioned that they wanted to kill the girl by shooting her in the leg and maybe this was connected to the fact that she was kicking them. At this point I turned around and confirmed that they were white.

Two of the boys have been released into their parent's care. I think that is when my head exploded. If these children were black or latin they would have NEVER been released. If they girl had been black or latin as well, the story wouldn't have even made the news. I guess this ties into Fish's post from a few days ago about how so many things go unreported.

I think, that the media doesn't look into the violence committed by black/latin youth because the reasons behind it are normally so much deeper, systematic and profound that it would force people to think. Thinking is dangerous.

On another note--I really don't think people should be surprised when an 8 year old thinks that shooting someone is a reasonable solution to getting kicked. How many acts of violence has that child seen on television? How many times does he see people get shot on cops shows for doing "bad" things? Of course shooting the girl who was kicking him seems reasonable!

So, this morning I am angry. After a refreshing weekend of cooking, and relaxing by myself I am enraged. And I think that is probably the most appropriate mood to go off to law school in. :-)

P.S. I have been thinking about getting "Subversive Angel" tattoed on my back. Today it seems more appropriate than ever as I tromp off to school in pin stripe pants, and a grey twin set (I have a 'thing' to go to tonight). Inside I am feeling very Rage Against the Machine

--"I'll strike a match and let it catch and spread the insight we need. A tiny fired, burning bright, shedding light on the darkness of greed."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?