<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 28, 2004

The Dilemma of the Saturdays

Last night I was taken to a dope poetry spot in DC. I knew I was going to read but before I got on stage I was handed a business card and on the back this guy had requested that I perform "Saturdays". I informed him "Saturdays" is retired and then went to stage and spun the new hotness.

Yes, new hotness...I wrote a poem ;-)

Here is the issue. People like "Saturdays". I like "Saturdays" and I think it is one of my strongest pieces but and like my butt this is a big BUT I can't perform it anymore. It isn't in me. The subject matter no longer happens. Saturdays truly are over. And I can appreciate the piece and will definatly print it, but to kick it onstage feels like a lie. It no longer warrants a good intro, the typical "this is what a day in my life with my partner is like." Is no longer true. And I can fondly remember the relationship but I can't act like it is still going on. I can't act on stage period. I like to bring it to people raw and honest.

So, what is a girl to do when one of her best pieces expires. I gues I has gots to make some new shit. Wish me luck.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?