<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 13, 2004

On Winning

I am competitive. I think the most frustrating thing about the exercise I am participating in right now is that we have to argue motions so they can see how well we can argue. They have already decided what teams win what motions in order to get to the next step of the exercise. Each section has four portions of the exercise (1 per teammate).

I can't win the motion I have to argue. It is impossible. They give us the cases so this is not based on my argueing ability. If I was going to go into "battle" (which is what litigation is), I would arm myself to win or I would settle the case out of court.

Now in life. I am not a sore winner. I don't rub it in people's faces, jump up and down or any of that bullshit. It is enough for me to sit on it, eat it up and enjoy it inside. I will also play games that I repeatidly lose. If anything it gives me strategy for when I am going to play those games against others. BUT BUT

Here is the real reason why I don't slam . I would compromise my poetry to win. I know it. I know I can get my acting ability to the point where I could slam the poem I wasn't feeling cause I know it is what the judges would like. I would edit, re-edit, put in body language...do all the shit I hate slam for, cause it wouldn't be about the art. It would be about winning.

So, to keep it about the art. I have to stick to the open mic. And that is that, now you know.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?