<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Here is the thing I like my life
Really I like most of my life
and the shit I don't like, I try to steer away from.

So why I people trying to convince me to sign on for a two year prison sentence?
If I hear one more time- Yes, it sucks but you make a lot of money and it is only for a few years--I am gonna smack someone.

You see next year I graduate law school which means right now I should be interviewing to work at a firm that will give me a shit load of money but will also work me like a dog. 18 hour days, weekends, sometimes longer than 18 hour days. For instance, our former legal secretary just took a position at another firm working from 5pm to 1am. Why the hell does a law firm need a secretary at midnight? And why would I want to work someplace where I would so routinely need a secretary that late that they have two secretarial shifts?
I have lawyer friends who suffers from depression, knows it is because of his job and yet won't leave cause the golden handcuffs are on too tight. I have a friend who literally gained 40 pounds her first year at a big firm cause she had no time to work out OR eat right. Excuse me if signing on for that strikes me as a little insane.

How the hell am I to know that I won't die before my two years are up without having ever enjoyed the money?

Cause guess what--I LOVE my broke ass poet life. I love my job. Even when I am velobinding my own legal briefs I love it cause I know I can leave at 6 to make it to bar 13 or Acentos. And no pricky partner is gonna drop a ridiculous assignment on me at 5:55 on a friday when they know I am leaving on a trip for the weekend.

So my TV is old. I prefer books anyway. And my furniture is second hand. My apartment is cute and I can tell you a story about how I got each item. Being broke is not so bad when you are lounging on a chair, catching the last few rays of summer sun. So please stop trying to convince me to get a job that enable me to buy shit that I don't want and take up way too much of my time, which I do want.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?