<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 17, 2004

On Singleness and my Obsession with a Singer

The other day in my law and literature class we were discussing Portia from Merchant of Venice. My professor said that he didn't understand why Portia, who was so intelligent would be willing to wed a suitor that was like her suitor (unintelligent and obviously money hungry). I raised my hand because I understood why she would.

Me--Portia of all of the Shakespeare women I have read is one of the few that has complete control over her life without a man's control and influence. Yes, her father's presence is there but he is dead and the he can only influence her with her consent. As a smart woman that is used to having control over her life the only way she can keep control as a married woman is by marrying someone who is not as intelligent as she is.
Professor--Do you plan on marrying someone who is not as intelligent as you are?
Me, perplexed at the question,--I don't plan on getting married.

At which the class erupts into laughter the professor has a look of shock amusement and laughs and then says he shouldn't have asked that question.

Unlike other people I know, I have the benefit of knowing precisely why I am single. There are a myriad of reasons but it boils down to the fact that I am exceedingly picky and unwilling to compromise. If I cannot have one person in my life who satisfies all of my needs the quick and easy solution is the have mulitple people in my life who satisfy certain needs (don't take that to mean I am intimate with all or any of them).

Also I get on these long trips where I just want to be alone. Having a boyfriend in Florida for a year really spoiled me. I got to live my life exactly how I wanted to and then fly someplace beautiful to hang out with somebody beautiful and I got laid to boot ;-) John and I were talking the other day and we agreed that relationships are really about Saturday and Sunday mornings. Those are the first thing that tends to fly out of your hands when you are involved with someone. And me, if someone happens to have slept in my bed friday or saturday night, the next morning when I want to sit up and write and watch cartoons or Meet the Press I tend to just look at the 180 pounds of flesh beside me with some contempt. Until I find someone whose sheer presence doesn't annoy on a weekend morning I will stay single (btw I don't always get annoyed at the person beside me, there hasn't really been that many people beside me on a weekend morning. I just tend to get annoyed when they don't want to do exactly what I want to do for the weekend, at which point I want to say okay well then go do your thing I will do mine and we can meet up later.)

Which brings me to my latest obsession--Claudio Sanchez. Not since I was in 5th grade have I been so smitten with the lead singer of a band. Claudio's band is called Coheed and Cambria, I saw them on the Warped Tour and they just blew me away. I got the CD and his voice pierced my soul. It was awful, felt like I had been smacked with a glove filled with quarters. I googled him and found out why this band isn't everywhere--they are not MTV attractive, neither cute enough nor gimicky enough. The lyrics of the songs slay me, finding out that he is working on a comic made it worse and even his name is fucking sexy. How did I become this stupid? So I find out that the band is playing at the Roseland in November and I know I am going to go, I just don't know if I am going alone or not. If I go alone nobody will see me when I throw myself at this guy. If I go with someone they may stop me from throwing myself at this guy. And now I sit plotting on how to get a rock stars attention because I really didn't play attention in groupie class, I was too busy trying to figure out how to get my own groupies.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?