<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Life Since Quitting

I quit smoking Tuesday, December 21st at 5 p.m.. I know the exact day and time because I had just handed in my final paper for the semester and smoked the last bit of my last cigarette. Rather convenient that I finished them the day before I said I would quit. Since then I have been doing a ton of fun stuff (this is really my first full vacation in a year where I don't have some form of academic work leaning over my head).

1. Went to mom's house and both of my brothers and sister were there. While in Middletown I spent a ton of time with my dad. If you know me you know this is a miracle. My father has had so much personal growth and hopefully he is still going. We all (minus mom, they are divorced) went to dinner and saw Meet the Fockers (maybe I found it even funnier cause I am gonna be in that position soon), the next day we went Christmas shopping (yes I shopped on Christmas eve) and it was just generally beautiful/ a little stressful and a lot of fun to be hanging out with my dad again. If you are the praying sort please keep my dad in them.

2. Christmas day was a blast with the morning at mom's house, where she spent too much money on me seeing as her and dad are paying for my bar exam prep course. We stayed there and had lupper (between lunch and supper). It was nice we had lobster and steak and both of my parents sat at the same table at the same time and nobody fought (part of me wonders if maybe one of the other adults (Dianna and David are 14 and 11 respectively) slipped a sedative into the meal. We then shuttled off to my aunt's house for the Christmas Coquito (woohoo!) and cousins.

3. The next day was very lazy and boring and involved my incredible journey from Middletown to NYC. Shortline buses decided to cancel the 7:50 without telling their customers so I had to take the 9:50 didn't get to my apartment till midnight had to finish packing got 3.5 hours of sleep before I had to get to the airport. Even though there was shitty weather everything took off on time, which really shocked me as I planned on spending hours delayed.

4. So I have been in my Southern home for the past few days and it has been lovely and relaxing. I made Chicken Picatta for the first time and it was good. It has been lazy and lovely. Yesterday was just wonderful with John and I spending the day in Tom Brown Park roller blading and walking. I saw lizards and fish and paw marks of some ferociouous animal in a stream bed and some herons and the weather was perfect and so was the company.

Last night we celebrated his grandfather's 84th birthday. John's grandparents are a hoot and I don't know if they realize what a blessing they are to me. I never really knew my abuelo (he has lived in P.R. most of my life and is rather difficult to talk to) and the rest of my grandparents have passed away. It is rather neat to have some grandparents back in my life, especially ones like Joseph and Julita (yes I will be screwing it all up and will be the only non J in the family). I asked his grandfather if there was anything he wanted to do before his 85th birthday and he said he wanted to go back to Paris. I adore John's grandfather and now have to figure out how I am going to take him to Paris before next December. Best memory from the day, watching John's grandmother looking up and smiling at John's grandfather as we sang him happy birthday. I almost cried it was so beautiful.

5. I still haven't had a cigarette but last night I dreamed I was smoking. How yucky is that?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?