<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 06, 2004

On Religion?

I don't really know where to start this post so forgive me if it is rambling but I have been meaning to write it for a long time.

I believe in the universal. If spirituality is like a food, then my spirituality is a sancocho (stew) and Christianity is the broth. I often wonder if this is merely because I was espoused to Christianity first but reality is this, I don't have to answer that question. There are too many other questions to answer.

When I say I believe in the universal, I believe most in that which I find in all the varying religions I have studied. So what I really believe is this. There is an energy that is in all things and that connects all things. Call it God, Allah, Yahweh or smitty the invisible chicken. I really don't care. In the Yoruba tradition this energy is called Ashe. Everything you send out comes back to you because it is what you are putting into the world. So you have to be cautious what you send out.

Here is something else I have found. God is love. Slap whatever name you call your favorite diety in front of "is love" and it should fit. We are supposed to love one another and we are supposed to take care of one another and those are really the most important things we are supposed to do. I have found that the happiest people I know are the people who choose to serve man.

I think, most of the time, we don't intend to do the worst things we do. The evil eye, jealousy, that is another thing that I have found in most cultures. We all have charms we wear to guard it off. Jews have jewelry with eyes, Italians have the horns, Latinos have varying charms featuring onyx or a hand. The scary thing about the evil eye, is that sometimes people don't even realize when they are coveting and I still think it causes bad things to happen. Watch what is in your heart.

So you are watching what is in your heart and you are loving one another and you are taking care of your fellow man and really that is what it matters to me.

In my house I have a piece of stained glass with a dove on it (symbolizing the holy ghost; I also have a dove tattoo), I have a calavera reading a magazine (symbolizing the lack of distinction between the living and the dead) and a very happy white ceramic Buddha. It's like my spirituality corner. I have altars to my Santos (Santos, Orixas, whatever you want to call them is fine with me). And really when I find something that I agree with I just add it to my stew.
On the small of my back I have a lotus tattoed on me. There was a yogina who taught that, there is "one truth but many paths." God (Allah, Yahweh, Smitty the Invisible Chicken) does what "it" has to do to pull you closer to the truth.

I was lead to Christianity at 14, I was lead to Yoga at 18 and now I find myself exploring Buddhism more. I don't think they are exclusive. God knows what I needs to "find my quiet place inside". And he leads me to it. And maybe your quiet place isn't quiet. Maybe it is the drum beats in a concert. I still think it is all the same "God" and I still think he wants us all to love one another.

P.S. I also believe in a soul. This belief is more grounded in science than any other belief I have. Energy never cease it changes. There is a tremendous amount of energy that goes into maintaining a human body. When you die it has to go somewhere and I believe that that energy becomes your soul. What happens in the afterlife is a different post.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?