<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

What's it gonna take

Laying in bed at 3 a.m. sound asleep and I am woken up by an explosion. I didn't need to be told what it was (though for a while I was scared that my building was on fire and I was wondering how I would figure that out). Here is how the Daily News reported the story, as there is no coverage from the New York Times.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/260105p-222765c.html

I really thought that the "new mix" in my neighborhood would bring more coverage to this issue, but it hasn't. So here it is. Periodically there is an explosion at the Con Edison plant on Avenue C. This is not a random or occasionally incident. It is periodic. A few years ago the explosion was so big that soot was on my Tia's balcony and the apartment is two blocks away from the plant.

Occasionally you hear massive rumbling like there is going to be an explosion. It last for about fifteen minutes and then it stops. To me, it is terrifying. And I guess the people in the neighborhood have just learned to deal with it.

I laid awake listening to sirens, my room filled with flashing lights, turned on the TV and there was no instant reporting on ANY of the channels. This morning it took a substantial amount of time before I even heard anything on the news.

And I am wondering what it is going to take. With the newest influx of people (read "white" people) to my nieghborhood I thought it would get attention but it didn't. NYU is going to build a dorm on Avenue B and I am thinking, maybe if a few freshmen get injured with the next explosion the city/state/EPA/ whoever will actually deal with it.

Till then it is all the same in Loisaida. We go to work sleepy and the city doesn't care cause the power didn't go out.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?