<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 21, 2005

Outlets and the Outdoors

I love the outdoors. I mean I really love being outside. Growing up in the Hudson Valley was amazing. I would go over friends houses and they had kills (bigger than a creek smaller than a river) in their backyards and we would run around and splash through water and I loved it. I would go horseback riding through woods and hiking through the Shawangunk Mountains and just riding around outside in the fresh air on my bike and I loved it.

Now I go upstate and the ride out of the city alone destresses me. There is a point where the urban horizon become beautiful mountains. If you drive through bear mountain road you see waterfalls flowing out of rocks.

When I take the express bus it makes one stop--Woodbury Common Factory Outlets. On the most beautiful day there are tons of people getting off and on here. Never mind that whatever they spent on transportation negates what they save on clothes. Never mind that the outlet stores are so crowded you might as well be in the city. What makes me think that the people who spend gorgeous weekends walking around stores are truly dumb is the fact that right by the outlet are these great trails. And on these trails are some beautiful wildlife.

I don't get the psyche of the outlet shopper. When I go down to Florida John and I stay in this town called Destin. Destin has tons of outlets and we go and I am reminded that I hate shopping (especially when there are gorgeous white sand beaches nearby). We end up going to the bookstore, the record storeand we leave. (Gelato may or may not get consumed in this process).

I don't get the psyche of the super shopper. Give me a bike and some trees and I am a happy girl.

On a funny note. When I was home I saw not one but TWO cars with "I'ld rather be bow hunting" bumper stickers AND the local sports store, Gander Mountain, was having a Firearms and Safe Sale. I didn' tknow the two got sold together. Despite the real estate boom Orange County is still Orange County.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?