<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 12, 2005

Two Post for the Price of One (because thinking about how things are is pissing me off today)

OOh how good they are at pegging the little guy against the little guy

How do you rebuild an entire area of the nation quickly? You start drafting laws that would let construction workers get paid less than the prevailing wage. That way if construction unions don't want to build for so little you can blame how long things are taking on the unions. Then more Americans will hate unions, the unions will get less support, then we can finally do away with the small percentage of Americans who are in unions making it even easier for big business to stick it in the little guys ass. (sorry for the language but the whole idea pisses me off)

Why do we even LET women become attorneys?

I mean if we are going to chastize women lawyers for having all the traits that men lawyers have, traits that are supremely necessary for being a successful attorneys why do we let women become lawyers. For that matter why do we let women have any positions of authority. I've read so many gender discrimination cases where all the words that are used to cut down the woman are words that would be used to praise a man. I saw this great comic strip when I was in California where two male coworkers were "discussing" this woman who was "gunning for a promotion". The second panel was titled "In an alternate universe" and they were discussing a a man (with the same name just Mr. instead of Ms.) and praising him for his desire to advance.

I hate Hate HATE how my mom tells me (and every other woman I know that doesn't work for herself but is successful) that you just have to accept that people are gonna consider you a bitch. And just to make sure you are going to be nice in all other realms. You know, buy your employees flowers before you tell them they are doing a poor job. Bake your boss cookies before you ask for a raise. And you know what I DO bake people cookies I DO buy my loved ones flowers (quite often) that is just a part of my nature. But I hate the implication that I have to do it so people won't hate me.

And I have just decided that I am going to be me. If I want to cook for my coworkers I am gonna cook. I know I am not doing it to win brownie points, I just genuinely love to cook. And if I want to decorate with flowers so be it. I love flowers and fish and will have both in my office. And I will do whatever job I take how I feel I have to do it to be the best advocate for my clients (whoever they are) because otherwise I just wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror. And I have to look at myself a hell of a lot more often than other people have to look at me.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?