<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 07, 2005

Just a good weekend

I have been rather busy of late--I need to get some projects done before I head to New York and moving is still a pain BUT I had the most lovely weekend...

My friend Keith came down from Atlanta. It is so nice to have the room for a guest and so nice to have a guest that I hadn't seen in three years. Keith is like a younger brother to me, I adopted him when he landed in my brother's fraternity. I loved the fact that him and John got along so well. And John's grandma cooked for us which was just great. There were times when the two guys were hanging out that I felt like I didn't need to be around and frankly, I felt totally comfortable going to sleep while they watched ultimate fighting (which is a digustingly brutal sport, but way more honest than boxing).

We headed down to Railroad Square for First Fridays, which I had never been to. Railroad Square is Tallahassee's artist niche and I love it down there. On the first friday of every month all the galleries are open and they serve wine and cheese and snacks. There are these two artist, whose names I can never remember, who are just churning out some incredible stuff. One of them lets his little girl participate and instead of making the work look like a child's scribbles....it just brings out a level of honesty. They are almost picasso esk with tons of things going on in the canvas (think Guernica and a little bit added) and the scribbles don't look like intrusions. It is so tough to explain. On a good note the artist are charging what there work is worth (which a lot of artist don't). Since they are charging that I can't afford it....sigh

I had a new friend with me and she bought a friend and that made it even cooler. Ooh on another note someone painted this AMAZING painting of the White House. I think they used oils and acrylics but the entire painting was done in pitch black. It was such a powerful statement.

The rest of the night we spent home watching TV and hanging out with our friend Eric who is insanely funny and lovingly wonderful and all around makes me feel glad that I live here. It is interesting, he remains me a lot of Omar (in that he makes fun of everything, not in that they are both large Filipino men) and I sometimes think that is why I feel so comfortable around him. I guess we see bits of our old friends in our new friends or else we wouldn't want them to be our friends....comprende? Either way E is a crack up and when I left the guys to crash I did it with a smile.

Saturday was grits and bacon and eggs, with a little cooking tutorial from Keith. We went to Big Lots and picked up my (by my I mean belonging to me and John) new entertainment center and bar (both pieces for wonderful prices). Once I finish putting the damn entertainment center together the living room will be mostly done because Keith was nice enough to put together the bar. Always wonderful to have an engineer around. The three of us then went to the FAMU games. Going to FAMU games is really about the marching band so we left after half time and went to Barnhill. If you don't know Barnhill is a southern buffet, but a good one. I had candied yams, fried catfish, collard greens, cheddar biscuits, mashed potatos, green beans and sweet tea. SOOOOO good. We worked it all off dancing at Atlantis which was a great time. The new friend came and while some other folk didn't, the four of us had SUCH a good time. I really really felt like I could live here forever. They played Salsa, merengue, bachata, reggaeton...my feet still hurt. The drinks leave something to be desired but I don't care I haven't danced like that in such a long time.

And since I danced liked that Sunday we went to another buffet for brunch. I am not detailing what I ate but it was damn good and kept me so full that I only ate corn for dinner that night. Keith motored out, John and I picked up my new computer (the experience being a story in and off itself). Stopped by to see the grandparents and then went to the parents for dinner. Dinner is always good and I began teaching the new puppy how to fetch. New puppy (JC) and I have some differences (he is a cocker spaniel and I am afraid in a few years he won't be good with kids) but he is a really beautiful dog and you can tell he is smart but he is definatly a puppy (9 months old to be precise). Came home, got some work done and since I got 4.5 hours of sleep the night before I went to bed way to early. I have to make myself stay up later tonight because waking up at 4:44 a.m. is not cool.

The weekend however was great.

Comments:
JC is a good name for a puppy. ;)

Jenn
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?