<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Opinions Please

I am self-employed and I have been looking into getting my own health insurance--here is what I have been finding. Maternity coverage is optional, which means I would have to pay about 50-70 extra per month if I wanted maternity coverage.

Figure this.

1. Having a baby cost about 10,000
2. The insurance coverage will only give me between 1,500-2,500 in maternity coverage.
3. John and I don't plan on having kids for a couple of years
4. I am on the pill, I am the type that takes it every day around the same time.

Side note, none of the insurance companies cover oral contraceptives or devices. I thought a bill was passed that made this mandatory. Was I wrong?

SO on the off chance that I become pregnant do I pay for the optional insurance coverage? I am thinking it is almost not worth it because of how much I would pay per month versus what they would cover. What do you think?

Comments:
Here's what you should look into: find out the insurance's policy on how long it takes to add a coverage once you've started coverage (if you can), and how they deal with pre-existing conditions.

Why does this matter? If you do get pregnant, you'll know it well before you need the insurance (about a month or so). If you get pregnant, as soon as you miss a period and have a positive EPT, call for the pregnancy coverage.

Then a month later, go to the doctor, and hope your care is covered.
 
Something to consider:
Insurance Companies get preffered rates from doctors and hospitals. For example: My Physical therapy charges my insurance 250 dollars for my visits. If I were paying out of pockets it would be twice that. My primary bills insurance 125 just for walking in the door but out of pocket is 200. So you figure if out of pocket baby making is 10 grand, reuduce that by about half to 5, the insurance pays 2-2.5 and you cover the rest. You also have to consider that if you have a C section then its considered surgery and a longer hospital stay. We might have substantial hips but sometimes the babies like it just fine inside and need to be helped along.Also insurance covers you for follow ups for yourself after the chilluns.
 
I am with Maria. I had insurance with both of my kids. With one of them though, I was waiting for the insurance to kick in to schedule my doc's appt (it was only a week or so) and got a quote on how much it was w/o insurance. BIG difference.

Also, I have to disagree a little on the calling for pg coverage AFTER you find out. Point in case....I didn't know I was (hadn't had time to miss anything) and went in for the flue. As part of routine steps they ran a pg test before prescribing some meds and I'll be damn if it wasn't positive. So it was a part of my official medical record before I could tell anyone else. Be careful it's not a "pre-existing condition" or something like that.
 
*okay...exam brain mush...that was supposed to be FLU not, "flue". Also meant to tell you that sometimes they do cover contraception depending on WHICH kind it is. Unfortunately, a lot of them don't. :( Here's a suggestion though...if your doctor can say it's "medically necessary" then they may cover it. (For example, I know a few folks with endometriosis who got theirs covered as "med. nec.).
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?